This Day in Sports History (2/14/2021 – (2/20/2021)
February 14th, 1951
- Sugar Ray Robinson beats Jake LaMotta to take middleweight title.
February 15th, 1980
- Wayne Gretzky assists on an NHL record tying seven goals.
February 16th, 1972
- Wilt Chamberlain becomes the first NBA player to score 30,000 career points.
February 17th, 1941
- The great Joe Louis knocks out Gus Dorazio in the second round for the heavyweight boxing crown.
February 18th, 1909
- The Boston Red Sox trade Cy Young to the Cleveland Naps at the age of 41 years old.
February 19th, 1965
- The National Football League adds a sixth official on the field.
February 20th, 1976
- Muhammad Ali knocks out Jan Pierre Coopman in the fifth round for the heavyweight boxing crown.
Written by: David Green